For every parent, everything that their child uses is important, even shampoo.
Curly hair requires baby shampoos that are hydrating and mild. That’s why we can’t just rely on what is advertised or what everyone else uses.
In this article, we’ve made sure to list only the best products for your toddlers and kids and share a guide on what ingredients you should look out for.
Curious which is the right one for your baby?
Read more to find the best brand to keep your baby’s curly hair healthy!
10 Best Baby Shampoos for Toddlers With Curly Hair
1. Johnson’s Curl-Defining, Frizz Control, Tear-Free Kids’ Shampoo
The Johnson’s Curl-Defining, Frizz Control, and Tear-Free shampoo take the top spot for its extra-moisturizing and smoothening properties.
Have we mentioned that it’s FREE of paraben, phthalate, sulfate, and dye? This hypoallergenic baby shampoo is designed to be milder than adult shampoos.
On top of it being infused with shea butter, this product keeps your toddler’s curls bouncy and shiny for more than 24 hours. That’s pretty amazing stuff right there!
Out of all the shampoos for your toddler’s baby hair, this one’s the best.
- Keeps curls firm even when your child keeps moving
- Prevents frizz, which is important to prevent hair from breakage
- This product does not need to be constantly reapplied, which saves a lot of time
- Prevents hair from being matted in the back
- It’s coconut-based, which means you can use it every day
- Packed with ingredients that will provide a healthier hair overall
- Gentle and milder than most shampoos
- Perfect for everyday use
- A pleasant scent which Johnson’s known for
- Might not be for those who want fragrant shampoos since this shampoo’s fragrance is not strong
2. Fairy Tales Curly-q Daily Hydrating Shampoo For Kids
Now, if you find Johnson’s shampoo is not for your taste, the Fairy Tales Curly-q is here, offering natural ingredients that are sure to provide lasting hydration.
Shampoo for curly hair should be designed to hydrate your kids’ locks and coils.
That’s exactly what this product does. Not to mention that it’s also great for detangling knots and taming frizz.
This product is perfect for those looking for plant-based baby shampoos.
You will find the Fairy Tales Curly-q shampoo a gift from above if your child has allergies to nuts and gluten.
This hydrating shampoo swears that it does not have gluten, nuts, parabens, and sulfates. Instead, it has natural contents – murumuru butter, quinoa, and rice amino acids.
- Treats your baby’s cradle cap and other conditions caused by dryness
- Provides lasting hydration and shine
- Reliable in controlling frizz AND defining curly hair
- Contains a lot of naturally moisturizing ingredients
- Ideal for those with allergies to nuts and gluten
- Won’t irritate sensitive skin
- Not as tear-free as other brands
3. CARA B Naturally Baby Shampoo and Body Wash for Textured, Curly Hair
BEST BUDGET PICK
If you found the two options above pricey, the CARA B baby shampoo offers a more price-friendly deal for you while also ensuring high-quality ingredients for your baby’s delicate hair and skin.
CARA B, as a brand, is dedicated to providing gentle baby shampoo for those of diverse ethnicities, various skin types, and different hair textures.
This moisturizing shampoo is suitable for ALL hair types.
It contains coconut oil, vitamin E, and aloe vera, which helps clean and moisturize your baby’s sensitive skin.
We haven’t even mentioned the best part yet.
Even without parabens, sulfates, phthalates, petrolatum, mineral oil, artificial colors, and fragrances, this wash product ensures a tear-free formula to protect your baby’s natural hair.
- PERFECT if your baby has highly sensitive and irritation-prone skin
- Provides lasting moisture
- Suitable for ALL hair and skin types
- All-natural ingredients
- Prevents hair breakage and frizz
- The bottle is not spill-proof
4. Cantu Care for Kids Tear-Free Nourishing Shampoo with Shea Butter
Honestly, this is one of the underrated hair products for those with curly hair.
This 8 fl. oz bottle of magic gently cleanses your baby’s curls while promoting healthy hair growth.
Kids’ shampoo should not contain any harsh ingredients! This one has the perfect blend of 100% pure shea butter, coconut oil, and honey.
If your kid has used many other shampoos for curly hair before using this one, we recommend that you do a second lather and rinse to remove the heavy product build-up.
PLUS, reviews from satisfied customers prove that this product leaves your kids’ hair feeling fresh and great!
You have found the IDEAL baby shampoo for you if you want your kids’ curly hair to grow out.
Have we mentioned that this also comes with a conditioner?
After using the shampoo, the conditioner works best if your child’s hair has a thicker texture which requires more care.
- Best for growing out curly hair
- Comes with a bubble-gum scent that kids love
- Defines your baby’s curly hair
- Skin and hair-friendly ingredients, such as shea butter and coconut oil
- The scent might not be appropriate for those with sensitive skin
5. So Cozy Curl Shampoo for Kid’s Hair
Have you ever been concerned about your kids’ hair after swimming? We totally get what you’re feeling.
Fortunately, this shampoo for curly hair solves that problem!
With plum seed oil, watermelon seed oil, and olive oil, this product is sure to make your child’s hair silky and elastic, and shiny.
If that’s not enough, this cute 10.5 fl oz bottle also contains keratin to reduce hair breakage, and minimize damage over time.
With its powerful formula, it can also work as a conditioning shampoo!
Not to mention that this was formulated by a founder who is an expert in National Children’s Hair Care.
With over 20 years of experience and expertise in kids’ hair, you can rest assured that this shampoo for curly hair will treat your kid’s hair with care.
PLUS, to put the cherry on top, it has no nasty ingredients like formaldehyde and synthetic colors or dyes. It is also FREE from possible allergens such as gluten, wheat, and nuts!
- Works as both shampoo-conditioner
- Better manageability, especially on curly hair with a rough texture
- Renewed hair health
- Does not make the scalp itchy
- Infused with good oils for lasting moisture
- Does not work as a detangler for knots
- More pricey than others
6. Curls Curly Q’s Curly Cutie Cleansing Cream
Have you ever heard of the Curly Girl Method? It’s an approach for those with unique curly hair that creates a healthy regimen with just conditioner and gel.
Co-washing is part of the Curly Girl Method where you wash your child’s curly hair with conditioner instead of shampoo.
Having a curly hair texture means that one’s hair is naturally dry. Shampoos have the potential to strip away moisture.
We don’t want that, right?
The Curls Curly Q Cleansing Cream is the BEST baby shampoo when you want to try out co-washing. It cleanses and hydrates your child’s curls while also acting as a conditioner.
This product is infused with carrot seed oil and Arnica Montana Flower Extract, reducing flaking and restoring damaged skin.
Anyone looking for a baby shampoo with rejuvenating and healing properties will find this beneficial, as it has horse chestnut and sage leaf.
Most expert reviews claim it improves blood circulation in the scalp, increasing the nutrients that the hair needs.
- Cleanses curly hair without stripping natural oils
- Makes sure curly hair has lasting moisture
- Reduces inflammation and heals damaged scalp
- Improves blood circulation
- Rich in natural ingredients
- More expensive than other products
7. Johnson’s Baby No More Tangles Shampoo and Conditioner
There’s no wonder another baby shampoo product from Johnson’s is on the list!
The brand has been known BEST for its amazing products for kids, especially baby shampoos.
This conditioning shampoo is not an exception, of course.
Like all other Johnson products, this kids’ shampoo has a 2-in-1 formula that gently cleanses and detangles delicate strands of curly hair.
It’s hypoallergenic and tear-free, so now you can be sure that it won’t cause any hair breakage AND that your product contains zero to almost zero allergens.
Online reviews testify that this gentle shampoo is equivalent to “high-priced salons,” especially when paired with the detangler.
This shampoo for curly hair is not watered down like other baby shampoos.
You would really know a shampoo-conditioner product is top quality when even hairdressers recommend it, right?
- Fewer tangles for your baby’s curly hair
- Dermatologist-tested and proven to be very gentle
- Works as both shampoo AND conditioner
- It has a pleasant scent
- The fragrance may mean that it is not suitable as a kids shampoo for those with skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema
8. Shea Moisture Kids Mango Butter and Carrot Extra-Nourishing Shampoo with Shea Butter
Just in case it’s your first time hearing of it, mango butter is another GREAT ingredient in hair and skincare products.
Aside from being rich in antioxidants, this key ingredient also renews tissues, which means that it can heal and protect damaged scalp while making sure that the skin is hydrated.
Looking for a moisturizing shampoo for curly hair made out of purely natural and organic products? You’ve found the best product for you!
It’s challenging to find a baby shampoo that has purely natural ingredients.
But the Shea Moisture kids shampoo goes beyond delivering intense moisturization, promoting hair growth, and detangling your baby’s curls.
- Made of all-natural ingredients, unlike other shampoos
- Protects and renews damaged scalp
- Ensures intense hydration
- Contains carrot oil for moisturization
- Significantly more expensive than other baby shampoos
9. Bella B Bee Gone Cradle Cap Baby Shampoo
Have you ever noticed some scaling on your baby’s scalp or even some on their eyebrows? That’s called a cradle cap.
Don’t worry! It’s a pretty common condition among infants.
BUT, you can help treat it by choosing a gentle baby shampoo like this one from Bella B.
This product has tea tree oil, oatmeal, aloe, and flower extracts with a formula specifically designed to soften curly hair.
Have we mentioned that it also moisturizes?
One downside, however, is it’s not suitable for all hair types. This product works best on dry and flaky curly hair.
- Treats your baby’s cradle cap and other conditions caused by dryness
- Made with natural ingredients
- Not suitable for all hair types
10. Lil Leona I Am Happy Kids Shampoo
Looking for a vegan shampoo for curly hair? The search is over because this conditioning shampoo by Lil’ Leona is certified cruelty-free.
Out of all the baby shampoos, this product not only hydrates, softens, and cleanses hair. It also makes sure that your baby’s curly hair has a healthy shine.
After applying the shampoo, the conditioner comes in handy to remove all knots and tangles.
With a pH level of 6.5-7, you can rest assured that your baby’s scalp is not exposed to harsh chemicals.
This product is certified to not contain any paraben, phosphate, petroleum, and formaldehyde. It’s a sulfate-free baby shampoo too!
- Very gentle conditioning for curly hair
- Does not contain any harsh chemicals
- Hydrates and cleanses child’s hair
- Contains fragrance that might not be suitable for those with susceptible skin
How Can I Choose the Best Baby Shampoo for Curly Hair?
There are so many baby shampoos on the market, so it can easily confuse us.
That’s why we’re giving you these helpful tips on how you can pick the best baby shampoo to wash your child’s curly hair during bath time.
Tip #1: Carefully Check the Ingredients
For those with curly hairs, products that have moisturizing properties and have a non-drying formula are a MUST.
Shampoo for curly hair must contain AT LEAST ONE of the following:
- Natural kinds of butter (shea butter, cocoa butter, etc.)
- Healthy oils (jojoba oil, argan oil, kernel oil, carrot oil, watermelon seed oil, plum seed oil, soybean oil, etc.)
- Aloe vera to ensure moisturized skin
- Wheat protein (quinoa and rice amino acids)
- Others (flower extracts, botanical extracts, horse chestnut, cedar bark)
AVOID products that will cause split strands or those that will weigh down the curly hair of your baby, such as:
- Mineral oil (paraffinum liquidum)
- Alcohol (isopropyl, ethanol, denatured, propanol, etc.)
- Waxes (beeswax, candelilla wax)
Tip #2: Remember if Your Baby Has Any Skin Conditions
Shampoo for curly hair does not always mean having the best ingredients. It’s also taking into account your baby’s sensitivity to fragrance.
Certain skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis are easily irritated by fragrances.
We recommend you take extra care in checking if the product has synthetic fragrances. Yes, even the ones that may smell mild.
While you may look at reviews of other parents online, we strongly advise you to consult a dermatologist.
How Can I Care for the Curly Hair of My Baby?
As much as they are fabulous, it’s not a secret that curly hairs are tough to manage, more so on your baby.
To avoid the hassle of detangling knots every time, here are some pieces of advice to maintain the health of your child’s curly hair:
Wash Less Frequently
For all parents, especially first-time ones, it may seem common sense to wash hair daily during bath time.
Besides, it’s a baby hygiene practice and an obvious way of keeping the hair of your baby clean.
Well, not necessarily.
The truth is, shampooing makes the hair dry and fragile.
We recommend co-washing your child’s hair to maintain the curl’s natural definition and shine.
Learn the Art of Detangling
Removing the knots and tangles is a skill.
Before detangling, use a conditioner first to smoothen the hair and make it more manageable.
Remember, do NOT detangle curly hair when it’s dry.
Protective Styling and Trimming
In between the intervals of bath time, you can try protective styling on your child’s hair.
You may braid or band the curly hair, whichever is easier for you. If you still find some unruly tresses, you may choose to trim them instead.
Trimming ensures that you prevent split ends and make the curly hair of your child neater.
A Quick Review
Our TOP SHAMPOO FOR CURLY HAIR is Johnson’s Curl-Defining, Frizz Control, Tear-Free Kids’ Shampoo because not only does it thoroughly cleanse your toddlers’ curly hair, but it also remains extra gentle while doing so, which is SUPER important.
BEST VALUE goes to Fairy Tales Curly-q Daily Hydrating Shampoo For Kids for the natural ingredients working together to ensure that your baby’s curly hair is moisturized and has improved manageability.
Lastly, the BEST BUDGET PICK goes to CARA B Naturally Baby Shampoo and Body Wash for Textured, Curly Hair because it keeps a great price as it does wonders on highly sensitive skin such as those with eczema and psoriasis.
Some Final Words…
Curly hair, in every type and texture, is beautiful.
As parents, we have to learn how to take care of the hair of our baby – including choosing the best baby shampoo for their bath time!
They will need our guidance as they learn to take care of their own hair.
We hope you learned a thing or two from this article. Feel free to share this article with other parents!