Hear us out parents: A definite MUST-HAVE in your baby’s nursery is a rocking chair or nursery glider.
Gliders and chairs are exactly what nursing mothers need to make their baby fall asleep!
Some non-toxic gliders and rocking chairs can be quite costly, but trust us when we say they are EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE and WORTH IT.
These chairs will provide you with all the extra support you need with their smooth gliding motion or gentle rocking motion — so let’s get to it!
9 Best Non Toxic Rocking Chair & Nursery Gliders
We have listed 9 of the BEST non-toxic nursery gliders and rocking chairs for your reference.
All these baby chair products come in multiple designs, colors, options, and price ranges perfect for your needs and modern home.
NOTE: If you can’t buy them online, rest assured that you can probably purchase them in children’s stores, too!
1. Storkcraft Premium Hoop Glider and Ottoman
This wooden rocking chair is tagged as the #1 Best Seller on Amazon, and it doesn’t come as much of a surprise.
The Storkcraft Premium Hoop Glider and Ottoman offers you a generous seating room with comfortable padded arms and storage pockets.
It also contains enclosed ball bearings for a gliding motion to gently rock you and your baby during baby time.
Did we also mention that you can pick between 17 different colors and designs? You’re sure to find the perfect one to match your home nursery!
It’ll even look great alongside your living room furniture! This cozy chair might also be a great idea for hubby once you’re past the nursing stage.
- Convenient storage for reading materials or essentials
- Padded and premium comfort
- Created with non-toxic chemicals
- Over 17 colors and upholstery options
- Can also be used as regular furniture
- Poor wooden frame (the wooden rocking chair isn’t the same quality as the cotton cushions)
2. Babyletto Madison Swivel Glider
The Babyletto Madison Swivel Glider is made by a climate-pledge-friendly company. This gliding chair is perfect for eco-conscious parents!
Putting your baby girl or boy to sleep has never been this LUXURIOUS!
This non-toxic glider glides smoothly at 360 degrees. This nursery glider arrives fully assembled, stress-free, and ready to go.
Get this: This nursery chair is also GREENGUARD GOLD-certified. It went through rigorous testing for over 10,000 chemicals and VOCs.
It’s 100% safe for your baby and the air quality inside the nursery!
- GREENGUARD-certified glider
- Uses flame-retardant-free foam
- Luxurious and ultra-soft velvety fabric
- Uses FSC-certified solid wood (the solid wood has been harvested to benefit communities, wildlife, and the environment)
- Low back chair (might not be great for tall people)
3. Ready Rocker Portable Rocker
An on-the-go nursery rocker just for you. Rock anytime, anywhere, with your newborn baby!
This portable rocking chair provides lumbar support and is made from high-quality materials. Plus, it’s free from toxic chemicals!
As you can see, this portable pillow is ideal for travel. It can even fit in a carry-on.
Hard to imagine, right? But it’s true — it’s like a removable lumbar pillow of (traveling) dreams.
- An easily adjustable nursery rocker
- Very durable (uses a strong aircraft-grade alloy frame)
- Compact, portable, and lightweight
- No match against other best nursery gliders specifically designed with smooth swivel action
- Only comes in one color
- Not ideal for home nursery use
4. Carter’s by DaVinci Arlo Recliner and Swivel Glider
America’s favorite baby products manufacturer paired up with a Canadian company to give you the best glider.
You can finally recline in a relaxing motion and rest your legs with this non-toxic glider!
- GREENGUARD Gold-certified
- CertiPUR-US certified (foam is made without PBDE or flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and CFCs)
- The foam used meets all CA TB117-2013 flammability requirements
- The wood used for the frame is FSC-certified wood (harvested to benefit communities, wildlife, and the environment)
- The wood is also LEED-certified (contains no formaldehyde)
Talk about safety certifications, eh?
This non-toxic glider is also upholstered with a soft and durable polyester blend that’s water-resistant and sure to feel comfy for all mothers.
- Uses water repellent and stain-resistant fabric
- Multiple safety certifications
- The design blends well in any living room or home nursery
- Reclines and has a leg rest
- Made with flame-retardant-free foam
- Can be squeaky
- Can be difficult to get up from
- Can be difficult to put back the leg rest
5. Delta Children Blair Slim Nursery Glider Swivel Rocking Chair
This non-toxic nursery chair can do everything you need it to.
It has a whisper-quiet, gentle glide motion, AND rocking motion that also offers a 360-degree swivel.
The non-toxic Delta furniture allows you to sink in and snuggle up with your baby however you want!
To add, Delta children was founded around the idea of making safe, high-quality children’s nursery furniture affordable for all families.
You can trust that this brand has the best interest of your little one in mind without the heavy price tags!
- Can rock, glide, and swivel for 360-degrees
- Uses a sturdy wooden frame and durable steel mechanisms for quiet movements
- Has thickly padded armrests for ultimate comfort
- Cushion and fabric is easy to remove and easy to clean
- Has a terrible creaking and squeaking problem through time
- Might be too small for tall parents
6. DaVinci Gabby Pillowback Swivel Glider
The DaVinci Gabby Pillowback Swivel Glider is thoughtfully designed to meet all of parents’ and babies’ feeding time needs!
This nursery chair is designed with a plush high back pillow for ultimate comfort, PERFECT for rocking the baby forward and backward.
It also glides smoothly and has a 360-degree swivel motion!
On top of that, it has all the certifications expected from DaVinci’s nursery chairs:
- GREENGUARD Gold-certified
- CertiPUR-US certified foam
- FSC-certified solid wood
It won’t pollute indoor air and keep you and your baby 100% safe.
- Has a bunch of safety certifications
- Pleasant design that works with any room
- Can rock, swivel, and glide
- Ideal for smaller spaces
- Can be difficult to clean when stained
- Can be too narrow for bigger parents
- Tends to leave scratches on non-carpeted floors
7. DaVinci Maya Upholstered Swivel Glider
This is the 3rd DaVinci chair we’re featuring on our list. The DaVinci Maya Swivel Glider is designed for both parent and child in mind!
It offers gentle 360-degree swivel motions, forward and backward gliding, and is 100% comfy for feeding time.
It also comes with a matching ottoman for ultimate comfort. Expect the Maya to cradle you and your child during feedings!
As usual with DaVinci, these non-toxic gliders are GREENGUARD Gold-certified and free from any harmful chemical flame retardants.
- Sturdy metal base that allows for smooth and gentle motions
- Offers plush and spacious seating
- Comes with an ottoman
- FREE of chemical flame retardants
- Misleading measurements (it can be smaller than expected)
- Too upright to use it with the ottoman comfortably
8. DaVinci Owen Upholstered Swivel Glider
Yet another DaVinci chair on this list! This brand certainly does not disappoint.
The DaVinci Owen Upholstered Swivel Glider has a fancy-looking design that’s sure to add a tint of style to your nursery or living room.
It comes with a matching ottoman AND a lumbar pillow for the most comfortable experience possible. The ottoman also doubles as a storage container, so that’s a big plus for us!
And of course, being manufactured by DaVinci, expect this chair to be certified-safe for you and your child.
- GREENGUARD Gold, CertiPUR-US, and FSC-certified
- Comes with a matching ottoman and lumbar pillow
- Ottoman doubles as storage
- Everything is padded for ultimate comfort
- Stated dimensions aren’t accurate (can be too narrow for some parents)
- Design might not be for everyone
9. The Swivel by Nurture&
At first glance, this chair doesn’t look like a chair for nursing or feeding. That’s how modern and stylish this is — and we love it!
The Swivel is a design-forward nursery glider that can stay with you for a VERY long time. Its design allows it to transition from your nursery to the living room perfectly!
Like most gliders and rocking chairs on this list, this non-toxic glider is also GREENGUARD Gold-certified and free from harmful chemical flame retardants.
But here’s what’s unique about it: It comes with a built-in USB charger.
It’s definitely a chair you can count on for other things than feeding!
- Offers smooth gliding motions and 200° swivel
- Fabric and construction is spill-proof
- Safe for baby and free of harmful chemicals
- Modern and stylish design
- Comes with a USB charger
- The seat suits taller people better
What’s the Difference Between Rocking Chairs and Nursery Glider?
The MAIN difference between a rocking chair and a nursery glider is the way these chairs move.
A rocking chair rocks in a rocking movement (obviously), while a glider follows a swivel movement.
Another point to note is that a glider is designed to offer a smoother ride than a rocking chair.
The reclining feature of a glider is also VERY helpful for relaxation! While your baby is napping, you can also nap with them in the recliner.
Should You Buy a Rocking Chair/Nursery Glider?
To focus on your baby’s comfort, you’ll need a supportive chair where you can properly rest.
While you do not necessarily NEED one, it definitely helps the process tremendously, especially those late-night feedings.
If you want to avoid any back strains, it’s great to get one that has a lumbar pillow and padded cushions for that maximum comfort.
Here are some more reasons why you SHOULD get one:
1. Babies Love to Be Swayed
If you weren’t aware, babies feel soothed with repetitive motions.
This is why non-toxic gliders are great to have in your nursery. Although, it isn’t ideal to rock your child to sleep every single night as they can become dependent on them just to fall asleep.
A rocking chair may work during those bouts of fussiness, but don’t ALWAYS rely on them!
Another upside to this is that you get to rest while your child falls into slumber.
2. Provides You a Designated Seat in Their Nursery
This chair allows you to be around your child in comfort.
You can tell children’s stories from here, and at the same time, you can take a nap without any back or neck discomfort.
There will be some nights where your child would want you nearby, or you would want to be around them.
You no longer need to give up comfort to be around your child, especially if you invest in high-quality non-toxic gliders that are GREENGUARD Gold-certified! (More on this later.)
3. Adds a Touch to Your Nursery Room
These are a staple in your nursery room because they are useful in so many ways!
With a multipurpose rocking chair, you can achieve the following:
- Feed your baby comfortably
- Rock them to sleep
- Read them a bedtime story
- Have quality skin-to-skin time.
To add, there are a ton of designs, colors, and types to choose from!
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure to purchase one that is formaldehyde-free, lead-free, and free from chemical flame retardants to prevent off-gassing in your nursery room.
What to Look for in Non Toxic Rocking Chairs & Gliders
There are 5 things you need to look for when purchasing your baby’s nursery rocking chairs or non-toxic gliders:
#1 GREENGUARD Gold Certification
GREENGUARD-certified means it has been tested and scientifically proven to have low toxic chemicals or almost no non-toxic materials.
This means that it is GUARANTEED to give low levels of volatile organic compounds or zero VOC.
VOCs are responsible for that new building smell and new car smell. Because of this, you may be inhaling about 50 to hundreds of different VOCs at any time.
You definitely DO NOT want this in your baby’s nursery room, so stay away from this off-gas!
You also have to pay close attention to polyurethane foam.
Whether a product is labeled to be made from “soy” foam, it is still considered polyurethane foam and can potentially have underlying toxic chemicals.
A GREENGUARD Gold certification is your best bet to avoid these, and this also applies when shopping for other baby furniture like high chairs.
#2 Provides Supportive Cushioning
The best nursery gliders and rocking chairs must be comfortable enough to sit in for hours.
You have to look for a cushioned armrest and a back high enough to support your head.
Bonus if there’s a removable lumbar pillow you can adjust to your liking!
Keep in mind to also get a firm but comfy seat. The last thing you want is to have difficulty getting up from your chair.
#3 Wide Chairs and Seating
As a parent who is nursing a child, you would want to have enough room for soothing and feeding your baby.
Plus, a wider seat means that your nursery chairs can keep pace throughout the time — because before you know it, you’ll be reading bedtime stories to your pre-school child.
#4 Has Durable Fabric
There are a ton of non-toxic gilders that provide numerous options of polyester upholstery.
Your chair will experience a fair share of spills and spit-up. With that said, you have to make sure your GREENGUARD Gold-certified glider or rocking chair is up for the tasks!
Here are some other tips:
- It’s a definite BONUS if the fabric is machine washable.
- Stick to dark colors that will camouflage stains more easily.
#5 Free from Flame Retardant Chemicals
Hazardous chemicals like flame retardants SHOULD NOT have a place in products that are in direct contact with your child’s skin and breathing zone.
As a parent, their safety and your safety is the TOP PRIORITY.
With this said, you should do your own research or check the product description if there are any flame retardants used.
How to Use a Breastfeeding Chair Safely
When using your breastfeeding chair, make sure that you are comfortable with the seat.
Ensure that there is enough cushion padding so that you don’t sink into the seat and so you can get back up instantly.
Once you have settled in, you want to set up a breastfeeding station nearby so that everything is in arms reach.
You can set up a cart that has the following:
- Nursing pads
- Hand sanitizer
These items will come in handy just in case your baby will have a sudden spit-up.
MOMMY TIP: As comfortable as these chairs are, never ever fall asleep with your child here.
Always keep in mind that SAFETY and COMFORT will always come first.
As costly as non-toxic chairs are, they are indeed something worth splurging on!
If you ask us, however, to have the ultimate peace of mind, you 100% need to get a chair that is GREENGUARD Gold-certified.
After that, just make sure it’s comfy enough for mommy and durable enough to last for years to come!
FINAL MOMMY TIP: If you’re looking for other safe and reliable baby chair products, we also have a buying guide on compact and folding high chairs.
October 18, 2022 – minor content edits