As soon as your baby is ready to try solid foods, you’re going to need to store and serve snacks and homemade purees one way or another.
Do standard glass bowls or a regular plastic container suffice? NO, because it’s possible that they contain toxic chemicals!
That’s why many parents, if not ALL parents, should make sure their baby’s food is kept in NON-TOXIC and SAFE food storage containers.
To help you out, we listed down the BEST and SAFEST baby food containers on the market for meal times and storage!
15 Best Baby Food Storage Containers: Non-Toxic, Safe Materials
1. Munchkin Snack Catcher, 2 Packs
This is ranked #1 under the category of baby food container by Amazon, and it’s hard not to see why.
This is our pick for the BEST baby food storage container on the market!
These portable containers are great for on-the-go snacking and can hold up to 9 oz of your baby’s food.
It’s also made from non-toxic, BPA-free plastic, giving it no chance to leach chemicals from the plastic containers and plastic lids.
With the help of this baby food storage container, snack time is less messy for the baby, and a LOT more affordable for mommy!
- Spill-proof toddler snack container
- Has soft flaps for easy access
- Fits most standard cup holders (e.g., in cars, car seats, strollers, airplanes, etc.)
- Dishwasher safe
- 2016 Winner of The Cribsie’s Coolest Snack Container Award
- VERY affordable
- Can easily be pulled apart by babies
- The plastic containers have gaps on the plastic lids, which is prone to spillage of food
- Not ideal for purees and soft foods
- Might feel cheap for some
2. WeeSprout Glass Baby Food Storage Jars
The WeeSprout baby food storage comes in second place, and by a small margin!
These baby food storage containers come in different color matte varieties.
They look pretty aesthetic if you ask us. Perfect for stylish moms who are particular about home design and feel!
To add, these are made with ALL NATURAL & NON-POROUS materials. Meaning that these glass containers do not absorb food, liquids, or other potentially harmful extras!
These glass food storage containers hold up to 4oz of food which is great to store your homemade baby food purees.
Although, this capacity might be too small for some, especially when your little one grows older.
Preparing homemade baby food has never been this easy, pretty, and convenient!
- Ultra-durable food-grade glass
- Measurement markings for smaller servings
- Airtight lids keep baby food fresh
- Freezer safe to prevent freezer burn
- Microwave safe for easy food prep
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
- Stackable design for easy storage
- Jars are prone to break
- Lids tend to come off the tiny jars when heated
- Not as much of a microwave-safe container as suggested
- Can’t be used for baby snacks
3. Zip Top Reusable 100% Silicone Baby Snack Container
These reusable Zip Top silicone baby snack containers EASILY take the spot as the best ziplock bags for babies!
(AND for parents who are looking for great value!)
It holds up to 4oz in the form of a bear, pig, dog, and cat. How cute is that?
It’s perfectly sized for bringing baby snacks while in the car, during flights, or whenever you’re on the go.
These baby food containers are plastic-free and made from thick, strong silicone that will not tear or break.
Have fun adding your own baby food or even store-bought baby food into this plastic-free food storage!
- Freezer, microwave, and dishwasher-safe
- Designed for small fingers to easily open and close
- Easy to use and clean
- Endlessly reusable
- Perfect for snacks and solid food
- Contents may spill
- Pops open easily
- Not ideal for purees and soft foods
4. Melii Snap & Go Baby Food Storage Containers
The Melii food storage containers are BPA-free, lead-free, phthalate-free, and microwave & freezer safe.
Reheating food will be so much EASIER and SAFER with these Melii Snap & Go baby food storage containers!
You can also easily use these plastic baby food containers with a snap! You just have to connect or separate containers for meal or snack time as you please.
TAKE NOTE: It can hold 2oz of your own baby food. It’s perfect for younger babies and bringing small snacks when traveling, but it might not be sufficient once your baby grows a bigger appetite.
- All the parts are top-rack dishwasher-safe
- No-mess, airtight, and leak-proof lid
- Suitable for baby purees and snacks
- Can be used beyond the baby food stage (e.g., a container for condiments or spices)
- Prone to molding
- Smaller containers don’t hold much
5. KIDDO FEEDO Freezer Tray
If you plan on making baby food that requires overnight freezing, then you can use this KIDDO FEEDO silicone freezer tray to ensure the food stays fresh.
At a reasonable price for its size, you get a freezer tray that’s made of premium quality food-grade silicone!
With this material, it’s also PVC, phthalate, BPS, and BPA-free, making it a healthy and safe container to store and serve food for your little one.
Upgrade your freezer trays with one of the BEST baby food storage containers!
SIDE NOTE: Some freezer trays are pricey, so the best thing you can do to save money is to transfer homemade baby food purees into freezer bags.
- Portion and volume markings on size pods
- The silicone lid is easy to remove and put back on
- Tray and lid are safe to use in the freezer, oven, microwave, and dishwasher
- Comes with a free E-book with baby feeding info and recipes for vegetable purees
- A certain smell sticks on the container
- Did not really pass the pinch test
6. Simple Modern Reusable Food Pouches
These Simple Modern reusable food pouches are sold as a pack of 10. There are tons of fun designs to choose from as well!
This squeezable and reusable food pouch can hold up to 5oz of your homemade baby food (preferably pureed and soft baby food).
You can easily add your own baby food into these plastic containers by unzipping the bottom side and pouring the baby food. To add, these storage containers will allow your baby to easily suck food!
You don’t need to worry about food safety because these best food storage containers are BPA, PVC, phthalate, and lead-free.
Also, think of it this way — you don’t need to stuff bulky jars into your diaper bag anymore because these pouches fit right in!
- Suitable for all ages
- Easy to clean
- 5 fun and cute designs
- These plastic containers do not expand very much
- Filling the storage containers can be tricky
7. OXO Tot Baby Blocks
Why are these OXO Tot Baby Blocks so great?
Well, as you can see, these “baby blocks” have a unique design you don’t see in other food containers on this list!
They’re shaped as blocks and fit into a little plastic tray that holds them all together. You can also just as easily remove them from the tray whenever you wish.
These baby food containers are made from safe and BPA-free plastic that’s also PVC-free, phthalate-free, dishwasher-safe, and microwave-safe. So don’t worry about any harmful chemicals leaching!
Each container can hold up to 4oz, so you can use it to store leftovers, baby snacks, and homemade puree.
You can even use it for your own needs as a container for condiments, spices, and other ingredients!
- Easy to portion, store, heat, freeze, and serve baby food
- Ideal for large batches of pureed foods
- Prevents messes because of its airtight, watertight, and leak-proof silicone seal
- Contents are easily visible
- Has convenient measurement markings
- Hard to open when placed in the freezer
- Each lid comes in three different pieces
8. Bentgo Kids Prints Tray with Transparent Cover
The Bentgo food storage container looks like a classic Tupperware lunchbox from the old days! Only that this has more modern design features and is made of safer materials.
With different compartment sizes, you can EASILY and SAFELY store your baby food in this food storage as you wish. From puree, snacks, and other solid foods, you can pretty much pack them all up and just go!
The attached lids’ snug design and locking clips fit the tray perfectly, offering a sleeker storage option for the fridge when you pack lunches the night before.
This definitely makes all the difference!
- Quick and easy lunch prep
- Child-friendly portions
- Ideal for transporting dry snacks and meals
- Transparent and customizable
- Interchangeable design
- NOT leakproof
9. Babymoov Glass Food Storage Containers
Another place where you can SAFELY store your homemade baby food, store-bought food, and even breast milk formula, is this Babymoov glass food storage container!
For a reasonable price, you can get these leakproof, stackable, and reusable 8 oz. jars in a set of 4!
The flat lids also make it easier to stack with other food storage containers, so that’s a plus.
All Babymoov food storage containers meet strict health and safety standards and are certified free from harmful chemicals by independent laboratories.
- 100% airtight and leak-proof seal
- Convenient measurement markings
- Durable glass is stain-resistant and certified-safe
- Microwave, freezer, and dishwasher-safe
- Multipurpose design and easy to store
- Has to be handled with care
- Not ideal for snacks
- Not a container toddlers can handle on their own
10. GoBe Kids Snack Spinner
SNACK.SPIN.REPEAT — this is how GoBe summarizes the overall experience you get with this unique food container.
Baby food has never been packed in such a fun and durable food storage!
It has 5 equally-sizes compartments that can fit all sorts of food, and here’s the fun part:
It has an interactive button in the middle that SPINS the compartments inside when you push it. How fun is that?!
When making baby food, the GoBe snack spinner will ensure your baby is kept occupied and engaged the whole day!
NOTE: Each compartment can hold 1/4 cup of solid baby food.
- All materials are BPA and PVC Free
- Dishwasher-safe (top-rack)
- Portable and convenient size ready for on-the-go
- Perfect for toddler-size portions
- Has an interactive button that keeps kids engaged
- The button may get stuck from time to time
11. Home and Harvest Stainless Steel Food Containers with Lids
These are the only stainless steel food containers we feature on this list.
It’s eco-friendly, reusable, easy to clean, and simple to use. Just store any type of food, and you’re good to go!
Stainless steel is also non-reactive to acidic foods, which gives you all the more reason to buy it.
This set comes in 4 different sizes, from Extra Small to Large, making it versatile and usable for everyone in the family!
- Durable silicone lids that are BPA-free
- Can be used as containers for snacks and condiments for adults
- Comes in 4 different sizes
- Leakproof, stackable, easily reusable
- Has rough edges
- Can accumulate rust
12. Tovla 50 Pack BPA-Free Disposable Baby Food Freezer Storage Containers with Hinged Lids
It can be challenging to plan meals ahead of time, especially if you have a busy lifestyle. These disposable containers will help organize the food for your baby in no time!
These travel snack cups can hold up to 3 oz of food.
Sounds too small? Well, it’s really meant to store small amounts of food like baby food puree, condiments, spices, and small amounts of solid snacks.
But what makes it great are the hinged lids. You don’t have to worry about separate parts falling or coming loose since it’s COMPLETELY attached!
Did we forget to mention that it comes in a whopping pack of 50? You read that right — 50 containers makes this a VERY value-filled purchase!
- Ideal size for small amounts of baby food
- Has attached hinged lids that are leak-proof
- BPA-free plastic and freezer safe
- Disposable and reusable
- Not environmentally-friendly (if disposed of)
- 50 pcs might be too much for some
- Too small for babies with bigger appetites
13. Homelux Theory Reusable Silicone Food Storage Bags
Homelux theory reusable silicone food storage bags are made with 100% food-grade silicone.
These bags might seem too pricey at first, but you’ll realize they give you GREAT VALUE since they come in a set of 2 large, 2 medium, and 2 small containers.
On top of that, you can use this reusable food pouch to store literally anything else besides food once your child outgrows them!
- Comes with 2 large, 2 medium, and 2 small food storage pouches
- Premium silicone food bag is made of food-grade material
- Leakproof, heatproof, and cold-resistant
- Eco-friendly! These food pouches are reusable, recyclable
- Can be used to store other items
- Kids can have a difficult time opening and closing the slider
14. Haakaa Reusable Baby Food Silicone Yummy Pouch
The Haakaa reusable baby food pouches are probably the most unique-looking storage pouches on this list, but we’re sure your kids are going to love them!
It’s made of a 100% silicone material, easy to squeeze and drink from, and is easy to bring wherever you go.
It also has a special detachable straw with a variable flow design and X-shaped opening to encourage transitional and independent feeding!
It holds up to 4.4oz of food puree and is sold in packs of 2.
- BPA, PVC, and phthalate-free
- Completely leakproof, heat, and freeze-resistant
- Half-transparent design makes it easy to clean and measure portions
- Fridge, microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe.
- Some areas of the pouch are hard to thoroughly clean
15. WeeSprout Suction Plates with Lids for Babies & Toddlers
These colorful WeeSprout suction silicone plates are perfect for your baby’s everyday meals!
Just stick them onto the table with its four-point suction system, and be worry-free. It will be surprising to see your baby knocking these off the table and creating a mess!
It comes in a set of 3 at an affordable price tag.
- Has a four-point suction at the bottom for mess-free feeding
- Odor and stain-resistant
- Dishwasher, microwave, and oven-friendly
- Can double as food storage containers for adults
- The four-part suction of the plate does not stick well sometimes
- Four-part suction can be too hard to move as well
Features to Consider When Buying Baby Food Storage Containers
WHERE and HOW you store your baby’s food directly impacts their health.
Having said this, here are 5 features to look out for when buying baby food storage containers:
Studies show that plastic is loaded with all sorts of harmful chemicals.
One added chemical present in plastic containers is Phthalates, which are plastic softeners used to make products less brittle.
These chemicals are NOT tightly bound together, making them easier to transport themselves through our bodies.
To add, Phthalates have been found to be endocrine disruptors that are linked to reproductive malformations in baby boys, reduced fertility, developmental disorders, asthma, and increased allergic reactions!
Another chemical that can be detected in plastic containers is BPA.
Luckily, this chemical has been BANNED in baby bottles and sippy cups by the U.S. government. Most baby companies also steer clear of this chemical nowadays, so that’s a big relief for all the parents out there.
There are tons of food storage containers parents can choose from nowadays. So instead of getting plastic ones, opt for safer materials for your baby, like stainless steel or food-safe glass containers, since a baby’s immune system is far more sensitive than an adult’s.
If you DO end up with plastic containers, make sure they’re 100% BPA and chemical-free!
There are several reasons why baby food storage containers should be airtight.
- Fresh and healthy food: With airtight containers, you can keep baby food fresh all day long.
- No contaminants: Keeping food in airtight containers prevents the growth of bacteria and exposure to foreign substances.
- Retains flavor and aroma: Containers with airtight lids help retain the original flavors and aroma of food.
- No spills: You can easily carry baby food around without worrying about spilling.
You definitely want all these for your baby. So hurry and grab those baby spoons and give them a taste of fresh food!
During car rides, park dates, visits to the doctor, and even at home when they’re on their baby high chairs, you would want a shatter-proof baby food container.
This is because babies and children tend to be clumsy.
So, if they get a hold of their snacks, most likely, they could end up dropping them and harming themselves in the process.
The container could even end up getting chipped without you noticing it!
Moving forward, you can opt for silicone or even a stainless steel container for your on-the-go snacks.
With our everyday busy lives, reusable containers serve a great purpose in storing snacks for babies.
Unfortunately, not all containers are leakproof.
To help avoid unwanted spills and sticky or slimy messes, you should opt for this type of container. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
It’s the same reasoning behind getting reliable baby bottles.
These ensure that there is NO chance of spillage, and it also keeps it safe from contamination.
Stainless steel is also a good option for leak-proof containers if that’s your preference.
#5 Microwave, Freezer, and Oven-Safe
Containers that are microwave, freezer, and oven safe are VERY convenient!
Imagine this, you wake up in the morning, and your child wants their food already.
All you have to do is take it out from the freezer, pop it right in the microwave or oven, and your child can enjoy their food.
A lot more convenient than preparing food with your baby food steamer! (but we still recommend using food steamers as much as possible for infants.)
Not only are these types of containers convenient, but they’re also generally safer to use.
Containers like these are built to withstand different conditions to ensure that food will be stored properly for as long as possible.
Safely stored food = safe eating time!
How to Store Baby Food Safely & Correctly
It’s all about the safety of your child, whether they’re eating food at home or eating nursery food.
If you enjoy making homemade baby food or if you prefer buying store-bought baby food, then we got you covered!
Here’s what you should follow when storing baby food.
- You can store pureed store-bought fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator for up to 48-72 hours and in the freezer for 6-8 months.
- You can store pureed store-bought meat, poultry, or fish in the refrigerator for 24 hours after cooking and frozen for 1-2 months.
- Generally, homemade baby food is safe to store in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours or 1-2 months in the freezer.
- Fresh baby food should be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- If you’re planning to freeze your baby’s pureed food, you can use a silicone ice cube tray with a lid or use a freezer bag with the food contents pressed flat.
You should take note of these pointers as well:
- Refrigerate FRESHLY cooked baby food within 2 hours (bacteria start growing at room temperature after 2 hours).
- Keep your refrigerator at temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius or below.
- Always remember to LABEL your bags with the contents and the date.
Frequently Asked Questions About Baby Food Storage Containers
Have more unanswered questions in your mind?
Check out these commonly asked questions to help you out!
Are Plastic Food Containers Harmful?
The issue with plastic is that it contains BPA and phthalates, which can leach from the plastic to the food.
However, MOST storage containers made specifically for babies are free from BPA and phthalates.
Better to choose from the options we listed above to ensure that the food inside is free from unwanted chemicals.
For more convenience, you can even settle for pre-packed baby food pouches with healthy baby food!
Can You Store Baby Food in Glass Jars?
You can stuff jars with baby food, and you can also store fresh ingredients and even breast milk formulas!
If you have plans to freeze the glass jar, make sure the one you bought at the grocery store is freezer-safe.
What Material Is the Safest and Best for Storing Baby Food?
GLASS is the best for storing baby food!
In fact, it’s considered the SAFEST material for storing food.
However, most of them are microwave-safe but may not be necessarily heat-safe, meaning they’ll be hot to the touch after being heated in the microwave.
How Long Can I Preserve Homemade Baby Food? What’s the Shelf Life?
Safety always comes first, especially for your baby. And today, lots of parents are preparing food for their babies at home.
Before you grab your sweet potatoes and start mashing them, you should take note of this:
The BEST way to preserve all of the yummy nutrients is to bake, steam, or roast the foods you’re going to prepare.
And after that, here’s the rule of thumb:
You can safely store pureed homemade baby food for up to 48-72 hours in the refrigerator.
You’ll want to follow these time limits STRICTLY to decrease the likelihood of bacteria growth.
How Often Should I Replace Food Containers? Do I Need to Replace Them?
Initially, you’ll know when it’s time to replace baby food containers.
Every now and then, you DEFINITELY have to replace these.
Here are 5 general signs that will tell you it’s time to let your food containers go. (especially if they are made from plastic)
- More than 10 years old
- Lost lid or broken lid
- It’s stinky or stained
- Has a weird texture
- You don’t like it anymore
For the most part, baby food storage containers will typically last you a few years. These criteria could also apply to any baby feeding products that you may have.
For a glass container, look for signs of cracks or jagged edges. These become a hazardous place to store your baby food in.
Also, always remember to clean your food storage containers. This ensures that the quality is still intact and there is no residue of any acidic foods. These can ALSO be hazardous for baby food storage.
There’s always something for everyone!
Now that you have a good sum of information regarding non-toxic, safe, and the best baby food storage containers, you can pick the right one from the market with ease.
From various options down to attractive designs and features, you can start purchasing lovely containers and start having worry-free mealtimes with the kids!