Are you in the search for stuffed toys that your baby can cuddle with at night?
Organic stuffed animals are the answer you’re looking for!
They’re child-safe and made of organic materials, making them non-toxic, eco-friendly, hypoallergenic, and (almost) all-natural.
Never worry about playtime and cuddle sessions ever again because we have the list of BEST organic stuffed animals for your toddler.
11 Best Organic Stuffed Animals for Your Baby
We gathered a collection of eco-friendly, non-toxic, and organic stuffed animals for your baby.
Your baby will surely love these brands and will carry them around until they grow older.
1. Mary Meyer Lovey Soft Toy
The first item on this stuffed toys list is the Mary Meyer organic cotton stuffed rabbit. Their collection is unique and natural, and their stuffed toys are FREE from toxic chemicals.
To add to this, Mary Meyer brands deeply care for the environment!
They create toys that your children will find love and comfort in for ages!
- Oatmeal Bunny is a comforting cuddle toy with a super-soft, textured creamy white fabric.
- A stuffed head and un-stuffed body make this rabbit part-toy and part-blanket
- Neutral colors look great in any nursery.
- Bunny has long floppy ears with tan trim and satin lining and embroidered eyes for total softness
- Huggable stuffed animals – These Mary Meyer organic stuffed toys for babies and toddlers make great gifts for a baby shower, birthday, or as a play buddy for a child or grandchild
Things to Note:
- The size of the organic stuffed toys is much smaller than expected
2. Benaturalbaby Organic Cotton Animal Elephant
A soft stuffed animal plush elephant for your baby — how adorable!
These stuffed toys are made of 100% organic cotton. In fact, all Benaturalbaby toys are made of 100% GOTS-certified organic cotton!
That means no chemicals, no pesticides, and no fertilizer!
The filling is also made of hypoallergenic polyester, and you can safely machine-wash this toy at 40 degrees.
- An organic stuffed animal elephant made of 100% certified organic cotton
- You can use this as a decorative piece in their nursery
- Endearing facial expression and body position
- Hand & machine washable
Things to Note:
- It may contain choking hazards that are not safe for babies
- Minor inconsistencies in how the manufacturer creates the toys
3. Organic Cotton Baby First Friend
You’ll surely adore these organic stuffed animals for your children!
The Organic Cotton Baby First Friend is manufactured to be natural, non-toxic, eco-friendly, and durable for your child.
These stuffed toys are also fairly priced, so they will definitely be worth it in the long run!
- The perfect size for your children
- 100% made from organic cotton
- A super-soft toy
- Free from harmful dyes
Things to Note:
- Not easy to clean
- Stuffing is made from polyester
4. Organic Cotton Animal Stuffed Animal Plush Dinosaur
One of the more popular brands on the market is Benaturalbaby. They’re known as a professional child products manufacturer, established in 2007.
Benaturalbaby toys are 100% GOTS certified and chemical, pesticide, and fertilizer-free!
These organic stuffed animals can be machine-washed at 40 degrees.
They also offer a VARIETY of organic stuffed animals, so feel free to create an organic stuffed toy family!
- 100% certified organic cotton for the outer shell + Oeko Tex certified dyeing
- Free from harmful dyes
- Hand and machine washable
- No choking hazard risk
Things to Note:
- These toys can be quite costly
5. Pebble Handmade Dinosaur
The Pebble Hand-Sewn Dinosaur is a guaranteed member of the World Fair Trade Organization.
All Pebble toys are lovingly crocheted/knitted with a gorgeous, contemporary design!
Safe for ages 0+, Pebble toys are non-toxic and have been safety-tested by a third-party testing company to ensure there are no choking hazards or toxic dangers.
Despite these organic stuffed animals being pretty costly, they’re certainly still a top option if you’re looking for something truly special for your kids!
- Pebble products have a 100% soft cotton outer layer with a 100% polyester fill
- No batteries are needed for this toy; it needs only little hands to show it some care
- The colors, textures, and shapes spark tactile, auditory, and visual stimulation
- A quality gift that can be treasured for years
Things to Note:
- Costly non-toxic stuffed animals
6. Apple Park Organic Farm Buddies
Next up on the organic stuffed toy brands we adore is Organic Farm Buddies!
Your children will find comfort in these stuffed animals for years to come. This brand even creates cute descriptions for each of their special friends:
“Frenchy is a cuddly, floppy child with organic stuffed animals that come with a rattle in his head and hand-stitched facial features. He loves poetry and books. He also loves how his polka dot scarf looks.”
This 14″ stuffed doll is the perfect size for babies to hold.
- All Organic Farm Buddies are made using all-natural, organic materials, such as 100% certified organic cotton, sustainable corn fiber filling, and dyes.
- Making all the packaging is eco-friendly because it is printed on recycled paper with soy ink.
- Farm Buddies products are naturally safe, so they are perfect for newborns and infants with allergies or sensitive skin.
- Free from any harmful chemicals, meaning they are non-toxic
Things to Note:
- The clothing collection of the toys has some faded colors
- The stuffed animals are smaller than expected
7. Stuffed Animal Dog Plush Toys Ultra Soft
The next one to look out for on this best brands list is Henley Place. This ADORABLE dog is a great gift for any individual, whether a newborn or an adult!
This stuffed animal puppy will make a great addition to the home and family!
Your child can carry this little pup, add it to their collection of stuffed animals, or just have this adorable buddy as a loyal friend!
This little surprise is sure to put a smile on any face for an affordable price tag!
- It will not disappoint when it comes to softness and durability
- 100% organic-stuffed, non-toxic, and free from dyes
- Threaded and stitched with polyester fibers, creating a corduroy texture that gives these plushies a familiar soft, durable feel
- Ideal size and weight. These lightweight and compact plush toys make them a great companion to join your child when sleeping
- Infused with organic stuffed cotton, it’s almost as light as a feather.
- The length of the non-toxic stuffed animals from hand to hand is approximately 14 inches
Things to Note:
- The stuffed animals are not fuzzy
- A bit big for smaller kids
8. Squishmallow 12″ Rocky the Raccoon
Next on our list of favorite stuffed animal brands is Squishmallow! What a cute name!
Rocky the Raccoon is hand-crocheted by women living in countryside villages of Northern China.
Squishmallows are stuffed animals that are the softest and cutest toys around. As you can see, Rocky the Raccoon is nice and cozy, wearing a warm winter scarf.
These stuffed animals have a pretty steep price, but with their unique appearance and features, we say they’re definitely worth it!
- Can encourage fun and imaginative play
- They are super soft
- Can be collectible plush toys
- These stuffed animals are perfect for bringing on long car rides, airplanes, or sleepovers.
- Non-toxic toys, free from chemicals, and are made natural
- Officially licensed Squishmallows merchandise
- Made with love by women in countryside villages in China
Things to Note:
- These stuffed plushies are expensive
- Being made in China might not be ideal for some parents
9. Vermont Teddy Bear Classic Teddy Bears
A timeless classic — so much to enjoy from these stuffed bears!
The Vermont stuffed teddy bears are made naturally and free from harmful chemicals and dyes.
They are DEFINITELY safe in your home!
This adorable, soft stuffed bear is made with smooth, silky fur to be oh-so squeezable! These stuffed animals and toys are made with care in Vermont, USA.
- These stuffed animals are made from 100% recycled stuffing; feature premium, long, buttercream fur and tan paw pads.
- Your stuffed animals are guaranteed for life! Any damage can be treated at the bear hospital in Vermont, and if it can’t be treated well, expect new dolls to replace them.
- It can be a thoughtful gift for women, and children for Christmas, Easter, Valentine’s day, birthday, graduation, or an anniversary, and even for your mom!
- Non-toxic and free from chemicals
Things to Note:
- The organic toys need to be more stuffed
- The stuffed animals have a bit of a scratchy texture
10. Organic Cotton Stuffed Rhino
These non-toxic stuffed animals are made of 87% certified organic and 13% recycled polyester.
The brand uses soft cotton, which is certified to the highest standard with Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). It’s perfect for toddlers with sensitive skin!
These non-toxic stuffed animals have no hard plastic eyes or nose, so they’re safe and DO NOT present any choking hazard.
These stuffed animals are pretty pricey, but they can also be used as pillows, which adds to their value.
- Safe to chew on
- A portion of each stuffed animals sale is donated to a conservation organization that helps endangered animals from across the globe.
- Helps promote sustainable practices you can do at home
- These non-toxic organic toys are free from dyes and other chemical ingredients
- Easy to clean
- Shipping comes with a non-toxic storage bag
- These stuffed animals are the perfect size for young ones
Things to Note:
- These natural organic toys are quite expensive
11. Under The Nile Organic Cotton Supermeow Roxie Scrappy Cat
Organic Egyptian Nile Supermeow Roxie Scrappy Cat is designed in partnership with the Meow Meow Foundation.
The Nile Supermeow plushie is filled with 100% cotton, which is okay for little mouths to bite on.
In addition to this, Under the Nile is a company that makes quality plushies, loveys, and fruit and vegetable toys.
- Ultra-soft, child-safe, organic toys
- Certified by GOTS and the Gold Seal of authentic Egypt cotton
- Part of the profits are donated to the Meow Meow Foundation, helping to implement water safety and eliminate childhood drowning deaths
Things to Note:
- Color and design might not blend well in your home nursery
What to Look for in Stuffed Animals
1. Organic Materials
If you plan on bringing home stuffed animals for your little ones, you want to make sure they’re organic and non-toxic.
Ensure that they are free from chemicals, have no artificial dyes, and are made from natural products.
Safety should always come first!
Sometimes, this can mean more thought goes into stuffed animals’ designs; materials should be of higher quality.
Quality control should be considered a brand’s RESPONSIBILITY rather than just government standards.
By going organic, we can join the movement to look out for humanity as these stuffed animals can last for years!
2. Reputable Brands
You would naturally want to get your stuffed animals from a brand that is already well-known.
The reason for this is that they have already established good, high-quality, and child-safe stuffed animals that most parents would get for their children.
Having said this, choosing European or US-made toys made (not just designed) in these countries is the BEST way to ensure your child’s stuffed animals don’t contain any chemicals.
If you see that some of the stuffed animals were created in factories in Asia, mostly in China, you should give it a second thought.
China and other factories in Asia are known to have poor working conditions.
It’s not always guaranteed that the factories that are making these organic, non-toxic stuffed animals actually make them organically.
If you find a store with organic and handmade furry animals, you should go for it! Hand-sewn, hand-stuffed, handmade processes are less likely to use toxic chemicals.
This is why organic is definitely the way to go!
What to Avoid in Stuffed Animals
You want your little ones to stay away from harm and danger, especially when playing.
Be on the lookout and avoid these 4 things when buying these items:
1. Synthetic Fibers and Dyes
Synthetic fibers and dyes are harmful to your little ones. They contain lots of chemicals that can cause damage to their health!
For example, AZO dye is one kind of colorant used in different products like children’s and dog toys.
AZO dye releases aromatic amines and contains heavy metals, which are known carcinogens you want to avoid close skin contact with.
When you go into the store, read the label first!
Make sure that it is ORGANIC and free from harmful chemicals. When shopping online, you can look it up to be extra sure!
2. Stuffed Animals from China
In 2007 alone, more than 25 million toys, most of which were made in China, were recalled by U.S. sellers because of the number of chemicals that were found in them.
Many were recalled for excessive levels of lead in paint (chemicals) used to coat the toy’s surfaces, which may lead to serious complications or death to little ones who put them in their mouths. Yikes!
3. Older Manufactured Stuffed Animals
These were made with fewer regulations than are enforced now.
The safety standards for chemical use today are a LOT more restrictive than it was before.
With that being said, these are likely to have heavy metals or potentially banned flame retardants that are no longer allowed to be used due to cancer links.
4. Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
Lead in PVC are chemicals that can damage the nervous system.
For example, Cadmium has been linked to causing cancer, kidney damage, and side effects on a child’s developing brain.
Stuffed animals, especially those made for babies, contain plastic parts like crinkly ears and rattles to entertain them.
To keep your little ones safe, you should avoid words like “PVC” or “vinyl” in your stuffed animals.
How to Properly Clean Stuffed Animals
Maintenance is just as important as buying the safest stuffed animals. Here’s how to keep them clean and make them last for a longer time:
- Step 1: Protect the stuffed animal. Place them in a mesh laundry bag, zippered pillowcase, or pillowcase with the ends tied for added protection against wear and tear.
- Step 2: Choose gentle wash settings. We recommend using the Delicate, Hand Wash, or Gentle cycle setting on your washing machine, along with cold water to help keep colors from fading. Learn more about choosing wash cycles and settings just to be sure.
- Step 3: Add detergent. You can use your regular detergent when washing them or a mild detergent if you have it on hand.
- Step 4: Air dry. Take them out of the mesh bag or pillowcase and hang or lay them flat to dry.
How to Wash a Stuffed Animal by Hand
If you want to wash them by hand, here are the steps you need to follow.
Your little one can even join you when doing this!
- Step 1: Soak in cold water. Fill a bucket or sink with enough cold water to submerge them.
- Step 2: Add detergent. Add a small amount of mild or gentle detergent to the water.
- Step 3: Hand wash. Gently squeeze them to saturate them with detergent. Don’t scrub too hard since older toys may have loose strings or worn fabric.
- Step 4: Rinse. Refill the bucket or sink with clean, cold water or hold them under cold running water and squeeze it gently to rinse out the detergent, avoiding wringing.
- Step 5: Air dry. You’ll definitely want to air dry an older or more fragile toy, but to help remove moisture, you can roll it in a clean, dry towel first.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Best Material for Stuffed Toys?
It’s probably the most popular fabric for dolls, and for a good reason.
It’s extremely soft, has a fluffy but smooth texture suitable for most projects, and is fairly easy to work with.
Are Stuffed Animals Bad for the Environment?
It depends. Some toys are packed with chemicals, while some aren’t.
A lot of today’s plushies, in contrast, break all the rules about sustainability.
Almost all are made of 100% polyester, which in turn comes from non-biodegradable, unsustainable, and polluting oil.
The good news is that the future for renewable, sustainable, natural fibers is again bright, thanks to society’s rapidly evolving grasp of environmental issues.
But REMEMBER, changing buying habits will always be a two-way street!
Do Organic Toys Make a Difference?
The number of chemicals present in non-organic toys is very alarming.
Imagine your little one proceeds to bite and chew on it.
The chemicals present in the item would then cause great harm to their health and well-being!
That’s why natural and organic toys are your best and safest bet, and they also contribute to planet Earth’s well-being.
Do Stuffed Animals Carry Germs?
Yes. Don’t be fooled.
Just because that teddy bear looks cute, cuddly, and clean doesn’t mean it can’t make your little one sick.
Don’t let your kids play with plushies in public facilities. Also, keep these out of the hands of sick playmates.
Make sure your child’s favorite teddy gets a long soak in disinfectant from time to time, too.
Soaking the soft plushies in a bleach solution for 30 minutes and then machine washing and drying will effectively reduce bacterial contamination.
Which Stuffed Animals Are Good for Children?
Those that are suitable for their age and are made with the right materials!
Here are other guidelines to help you out:
- Choose ones that are appropriate for your child’s age. Always read the brand’s age guidelines to ensure that it is suitable for your child’s developmental stage.
- Invest in plushies that are well-made. Good quality plushies will withstand even the most rambunctious toddler games. Look for ones that are machine-washable, and check that the seams and edges are tight, so no stuffing comes loose during playtime.
- Check for loose parts. Plushies with plastic eyes and long strings or ribbons can be a choking hazard for young ones. It’s also important to check your little one’s items for loose parts or general wear and tear regularly.
Now that you have all the information you need, playtime is safer and more fun now!
You can lounge around knowing that the organic plushies aren’t harming your child. You’ll also be getting your money’s worth!
So if you’re still wondering if you should give these plushies a try, you definitely should!
FINAL TIP: You can also check out our list of the best non-toxic bath toys for your baby’s next bath time!